Finding Light

Fulfillment of Emptiness II- Jang Jin-ik

Walking into the warehouse-turned-yoga-studio, I felt my whole body exhale. I unrolled my mat, sat on the concrete floor and looked up. The ceiling was draped in those exposed lightbulbs -- the ones that you expect to find in an expensive boutique, or downtown Portland coffeehouse/bar/art gallery. It was a soft, glowing light. Not too harsh, but still warm, and still illuminating the room.

After a two year hiatus from practicing yoga regularly, I made myself a promise that I would start again. The hardest part of creating a routine is starting- pushing yourself to commit to taking some time for you. I am so glad I did.

I had found the most wonderful, cozy, peaceful studio- and from the second I walked into the room- with its hipster string lights- I thanked myself. 

I thanked myself for pushing through the hesitation and anxiety. I thanked myself for doing something for me, for self-care. 

The instructor ended the class with something that stuck with me: "thank you for allowing me to share this moment of your precious life with you". Every choice we make is a message we are sending to ourselves. How we value our time & in turn ourselves. It felt so wonderful to take this hour to care for myself and to make time for something I had been long-neglecting.

There are many sources of light in our lives. Loved ones, a genuine smile from a stranger, puppies... but I would argue that the most important is the light that you provide yourself. Through the choices we make and way we speak to ourselves- the only voice we hear constantly- we permit the possibility of light in darkness. Push yourself, but be gentle. Be critical, but non-judgemental. Allow yourself to be your own light.

Comments

Popular Posts