Thrifting & Vintage Shop Tips


Not only is thrifting easier on your wallet & the planet, it's also just really cool. Sure, that may be my opinion, but it's one I wish everyone would adopt. We produce so much clothing waste for no good reason. By going to a thrift or vintage shop you have the opportunity to be eco-conscious and find some really fun, unique, one-of-a-kind stuff. Stuff that when you wear it, you feel really cool too.

I know that thrifting is not always the most glamorous of activities (seriously, always come supplied with hand-sanitizer and a good attitude) and it can be a little intimidating. After all, thrift shops are usually categorized in two ways: type of clothing and size. Beyond that, its a grab-bag of fabrics, decades, brands, colors, patterns, etc. Well never to fear! I've outlined my tips for thrifting, so the next time you go- you can shop with confidence and go find that diamond in the rough!



1. Go in with a vision. Before you embark on your next thrifting journey, make a list (mental or physical) of things you are looking for. This list can be vague: a type of item (ie I'm looking for a jacket) or very specific (I'm looking for a Harley Davidson Moto Jacket). Either way, if you don't go in with at the very least a broad idea, walking into the store will feel very overwhelming.

2. Do NOT spend a lot & Do your research. There is a bit of a split here. I have a pretty solid rule that I shouldn't spend more than $10 at a Thrift Shop (think Goodwill). Thrift shops are supplied by donation, and it irritates me to no end when items are overpriced at thrift stores. There are of course exceptions to this, but often the items you find at thrift stores are basic mass market pieces that did not cost much initially (you should never see a Target brand t-shirt for $15 at a thrift shop-- that's robbery). At a Vintage Shop, the pieces are already curated for you, and you really should be shopping the best of the best here. At a vintage shop it is important to do your research. Prices may vary based on the age, label, brand, and quality of the item. Don't be afraid to Google an item while you are shopping to get an idea of it's value.

3. Don't just buy it because it's cheap. I know it's hard to resist but this is how thrifting becomes expensive and defeats the point. Also, if you get in this habit it's very easy to end up with an over-stuffed wardrobe of clothes you don't really like. Before you check-out, look at every item you have. It should either be something you were looking for (tip 1) or something you could and will wear a lot. The fact that it's cheap should just be a bonus.

4. Try something new! Thrift shops are the place to try out a new style or item type that you've never worn before. Chances are you'll find something unique and fun & the risk is low spend-wise-- so this is the best opportunity to get those little-bit-scary items.

5. To try on or not to try on. That is the question. I always feel so grimy after thrifting so I understand the hesitation here. My personal rule of thumb is that if something is on the pricier side (but it's an amazing find) --try it on, especially if it's vintage as sizing has changed a lot between decades. Then, douse yourself in hand sanitizer and go home to take a nice shower while you daydream about the amazing new *insert the most amazing thing you could imagine finding at a thrift shop here* that you found.

6. Look online. Maybe you live somewhere that doesn't have any thrift shops, maybe you just don't want to leave your couch today... well the good news is there are plenty of options online! For secondhand items my favorite is thredUP, which is run like an online consignment shop. There are also plenty of apps like Poshmark, Mercari, etc where individually sellers run mini shops. If it's Vintage you are looking for, in my opinion, Etsy is the place to be. Either way a quick search on the internet will get you on your way!

7. Thrift while you travel. I have found some of my favorite thrifted and vintage pieces while traveling. Going to a thrift shop while traveling gets you out of any regional style ruts. People around the country/world have different styles, budgets, shopping habits, stores they have shopped (both past and present) that you normally don't have access to. Thrifting on vacation means you can find a lot of different fun things & a memento of your travels!


And those are the rules I (mostly) attempt to follow while I thrift! Now go out, I believe in you! Go find something so neat that it will make me jealous that you found it first...










Comments

  1. Thank you for posting such a great blog. I found your website perfect for my needs. Read About Thrifting in Sydney

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts