Outfit 020 | Sewing Project


Yet another make with yet another beautiful Rifle Paper Co fabric. I've really been reveling in the creative satisfaction of sewing. I think I've finally gotten over the hurdle of relative fear in starting projects (the "I don't know how to do that, will I be able to figure it out?" crappy self-talk) and honestly I look forward to the challenges now. Each time I try a new sewing skill -- even if it's not perfectly executed -- there's a little victory over perfectionism. Weapon of choice? Sewing Machine. Armor? Shiny, sparkly, star-scattered dress.


Overall, I'm really happy with how this dress turned out. The facing on the inside of the bodice and the slit in the skirt makes it feel like a much fancier make than it actually was. I was surprised by how simple this dress actually was in terms of construction and number of pieces.

Things I would change all have to do with the fit of the bodice. I really should start mixing the sizes of the pattern pieces, because when I cut all of one size, the bottom half always ends up fitting perfectly and the top is always, well, roomy. Dang bodies being different and unique shapes! Tailoring to myself is a definitely a skill I still want to work on improving.

The modifications I made on this pattern (B6453) were minimal. Instead of making an adjustable strap, I made a simple strap, and because of that I had to shorten the length of the strap pattern piece a lot. Honestly I probably could have shortened it even more-- so maybe that + some alterations to the bodice can be projects for the future.
















Comments

Popular Posts