Outfit 021 | Sewing Project



This project was a long time coming. It's funny actually, because one of my first introductions to garment sewing was actually corset-making. Now, I know what your thinking: why on earth would you start with something so complex? This headfirst jump was the result of summer credits. My university offered a quick, month-long corset-making class and I was all in from the moment I read the name of the course. I spent full days in the sewing lab -- with just a few basic skills under my belt -- and I had so much fun. I think this class really helped me get out of the "but I don't know what I'm doing" hesitation and just start doing. By the end of the class I had two corsets, but they were much more undergarments than outwear. Six or so years later, it was time to revisit rivets, and make this corset-vest of my dreams.

One of my favorite Youtube channels is Rachel Maksy (she makes the prettiest things and her transformations are so fun to watch), so when I saw her make this vest I was instantly inspired to follow suit. She so very kindly gave me the pattern number, and the rest is history. 

Unlike the corsets I made all those summers ago, this is a vest variation and isactually a lot simpler. There are only four pieces! Four! There is also no boning- which means this is not only easier to construct, but also considerably more comfortable. Despite my going on about how simple this was - for some reason (looking at you, universe) I struggled getting started with this project. I'm not sure if I just shouldn't sew at night, but I cut out the wrong number of pieces, flipped to the wrong side of my interfacing, and all other sorts of frustrating nonsense. After recutting (and grumbling) I finally got the right number of pieces cut and ready.

Another word to the wise (in addition to the perils of night-sewing) - I strongly suggest you follow instructions and allot the extra fabric to cut the bias as instructed for finishing the edges. I did not, and instead of buying more fabric and waiting -- like a wise being-- I was characteristically impatient and got next-day-delivery bias tape. This was my second mistake, as the bias wasn't quite wide enough (plus I momentarily forgot how to sew it), resulting in more grumbling. 

It wasn't all a struggle though-- I was thrilled to work with rivets again. I'm not exaggerating, there's just something about the process and the little teeny anvil that comes with rivet kits that makes me indescribably happy. I did, however, forget to use the anvil once, so there is a little black-sheep rivet who looks a little unique. I love him all the same.

All in all, even with my multitude of mistakes, I absolutely love this little vest. It's a perfect addition to any outfit that makes me feel like more of a hobbit/ Jane Austen protagonist --and really, what more can you ask for?










Comments

Popular Posts