Very Good Vegetarian | Favorite Foods 001


I have been a vegetarian for almost a decade now, and while I'm not the most vocal about it- I still consider it one of the guiding principles of my day-to-day life. It shapes decisions I make as a consumer, and most of those decisions have to do with one of my favorite things: food. I wanted to start a new series of posts Very Good Vegetarian, to showcase the best meat-free meals I had each month. Okay, I'll stop with the alliteration (I'm sorry) and get on to the good stuff...


The above picture was taken at Epcot's Food & Wine Festival- and this little slider features the Impossible Burger. My first bite into this burger was disorienting because it captured a texture I hadn't experienced in a while. If you want to give Meatless Mondays a shot- the Impossible Burger is a great stepping stone- and is popping up at more & more restaurants!


Banh mi
This crispy-tofu banh mi from Viet-Nomz may be my favorite quick bite in Orlando. If you've never had banh mi, take this as your sign to try it. The baguette filled with the pickled veggies, savory toppings and for the veggies- perfectly fried tofu- is just about as perfect as a sandwich can get.


Cronut with Hazelnut Gelato
Another gem from Epcot Food & Wine was this beauty. I don't think I need to elaborate any more- it speaks for itself.


Biryani & Lentil Stew
Onto the grain-based dishes! First up is the biryani from Sanaa at Animal Kingdom Lodge. Side note- Sanaa is my favorite Disney restaurant- not pictured is the bread service- but please promise me that if you go that you will order it. You'll thank me. Secondly is my last Food & Wine feature: Spicy Lentil Stew- which was surprisingly, actually spicy. It was hearty and nourishing (and entirely made up for all the bad stuff I also ate, in my opinion).


Cauliflower Tacos
Lastly and most recent- ending September on a food high-note, were the cauliflower tacos from bartaco. This is slightly biased because I love cauliflower tacos-- but that being said, these were something special. The salsa/sauce blend that topped each taco had almonds in it...almonds. I know, it seems strange but the flavors worked so well and after one bite I was in love.

I also tried the falafel tacos and corn- both honorable runners-up in this meal.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well folks, that was September in my favorite foods! I hope this inspires you to be more adventurous with food & maybe break out of a food rut. Trying new foods was one of my favorite side-effects of vegetarianism. I truly enjoy every meal I eat, and being conscious & proud of what I am eating has created such a healthy relationship with food. I don't consider it a dietary restriction- but a push to eat better & creatively. 

Comments

Popular Posts