Finding Motivation


I am very much an intrinsically motivated person. If I don't feel entirely dedicated to something- it is incredibly difficult for me to achieve a goal (aka things will begin to feel like a chore). My personal form of motivation manifests through inspiration. This inspiration could be based on excitement, passion, connection. In some way I need to tie myself & my core beliefs to a mission.


As a quick side note- I have recently found that if I do not have something motivating me (in general) I feel less fulfilled and in turn, less happy with my life. This is something that I am currently working on addressing, because I wholeheartedly believe that it is crucial to just sit and be happy with being content.

In the meantime- if you could use some extra motivation- this is where I find most of mine:

Make a list
This list could take different forms: a list of reasons why, tangible steps that you can take the goal, etc. etc.  I am a huge fan-girl for any and all types of lists. Nothing makes me feel more in control of a situation than a nice row of checks or strikethroughs. A list is a great place to start- always.

Talk with friends & family
If you need some external motivation- or simply seeking support- it's great to share your goals with someone who knows you well. The additional perk is that they may present a new perspective - or better relate the goal to you-- because they know you so well (the good and the bad). Either way it is never a bad idea to reach out.

Tell yourself WHY you are doing it
When I start to feel my motivation start to slip, I re-set my intention (thanks yoga for real-life skills). Often I just need a reminder of why I am doing what I'm doing. This tags on to the list note above. I usually keep this as a mental note- but I may try writing it out in the future.

Put on some music, go to your favorite coffee shop, make a cozy nest
Whatever you do- make the space in which you are working comfortable and happy. It is so difficult to focus if you feel distracted by an uncomfortable space. Whatever this space looks like to you- it will be where you are most productive.

Look fear in the face
A lot of the time the things that motivate me also intimidate me. I worry that I lack the skills, that I'm not good enough. This should never stop us. To quote Carrie Fisher, "Stay afraid, but do it anyway".

Comments

Popular Posts