Recently Read: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children


Upon beginning Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, I was admittedly not too hopeful. It seemed like a tried and tired concept. I had a feeling it was going to play into cliche and honestly, be a little boring. I am pleased to announce that I was wrong!


Ransom Riggs creates an interesting universe of peculiarity by utilizing the concept of time. Like always, I refuse to give any spoilers, but the mixture of the World War II setting with a fresh take on time irregularities creates a story that gives a lovely sense of unease. Additionally, the fact that the story was inspired by a collection of real photographs is absolutely creepy and wonderful.

I am personally not of fan of gratuitous horror and gore, but I love me a good, dark melodrama (cue Crimson Peak fans).  This book delivers. What I was most pleased and surprised with was that these peculiar children's talents are not all admirable and fairytale-esque. There are legitimate odd, and even disturbing talents among them. All things combined result in a plot that had more backstory than I had ever expected in a YA novel of this genre, and a book I truly enjoyed as a quick & easy read.

I'm off soon to see Tim Burton's film version of this tale. I have relatively high hopes as a Burton fan, and also because of its PG-13 rating. Hoping it's not too watered-down and I can go enjoy some creepiness!

Comments

Popular Posts