Outfit 48 + Photo Diary | Oregon


The day after my return from visiting home has to be the perfect time to write and reflect on my latest project, my close-to-the-heart Oregon blazer. I purchased this fabric in an instinctual impulse with no plan on how I was going to use it. I saw the all-over homage to my home state and knew I had to have it. While I do think I've made progress in stepping away from my all-neutrals all-the-time wardrobe, I'm not quite ready to rock a full piece in such a bold print. It was natural then, to use this fabric as a lining and what more appropriate and loving application than my first foray into outerwear?

The main outer fabric is a soft brushed cotton, it feels almost more like a blanket than a blazer. Cozy and comforting, just like a winter day at my childhood home in front of the fireplace. There is an option to sew a button closure at the center front, but I chose to do without, as it would be a shame to ever button it and deny the chance that the breeze flip a corner and show off the lining. This was by far the most complex lining I have sewn, and it was so magical to watch transform when pulling it right-side-out. While the idea of outwear felt daunting, I had at least had some exposure to this style of front facing and collar from when I made Terrence a shirt last year, which helped my confidence greatly.

It's always bittersweet to come home after a vacation, especially when your vacation was also home. There will always be a significant part of me that longs for northwest small-town life, pine trees, cool air that you can see your breath in. But the cats both cried when I got home, and when I woke up this morning, they both lay on either side of me, exactly where there were when we fell asleep. Home is where you make it.

Pattern: Heather Blazer by Friday Pattern Company












Comments

Popular Posts