Outfit 41 | Sewing Project | Moments


It was my birthday yesterday. I celebrated by eating homemade mac & cheese with Hello Kitty noodles and watching the finale of the second season of Bridgerton. I worked during the day. It really didn't feel to much like a birthday, but I think that's okay. Not everything needs to be grand. On this first full day of my new year, I'm reflecting on goals I have set for myself, including my aim to sew at least one project a month, and to write at least once a month. And while technically I sewed the gloriously puffed Capulet dress last month, I have yet to write about it. I have a thrifted-salvage project simultaneously going during a new pattern test. All of this yet I don't feel burned out in this area of my life. These goals are nourishing, fulfilling. The part of me that longs for creativity is not yet sated.

This dress is a dream. It's my own personal little cloud. Because of it's inherent poof, it's perfect for the ever-increasingly warm days approaching. The most fun part of the process was sewing the little channels for the elastic in the sleeve. Gone are the days when new techniques were scary. They can still be confusing, leaving my eyes darting back-and-forth between instructions and fabric, but it's exciting as well. A new skill, a new thing tried for the first time.

As I'm writing this evening Twilight is playing in the background, a candle is lit. I'm leaning into times that remind me of when I felt the most expressive. I only wish I could devote more of my time to creative moments, but for the time being I will continue to devote the time that feels right. Never forcing them. Not squashing them under the pretenses of obligation and expectation. The goal, while set a while ago, is being reached naturally. It's one thing that doesn't need to be a chore. I can pretend I'm fifteen again, wearing dresses over jeans in the name of self-expression, and going to a midnight premiere of a vampire movie.




Comments

Popular Posts