Outfit 34 | Sewing Project | Burnout

This is the project that lead me into an almost month long sewing hiatus. I'm not quite sure what it was, frustration with the pattern, with the sewing itself, or a combination of both of these things with a large scoop of life piled on top. 

As I mentioned in a caption, through this break, all while staring at a pile of untouched fabric laying on the floor of my sewing room, I searched for creative inspiration in other places. While I haven't been sewing, I have been playing piano more often and with more life than I have since childhood, when I would make up songs from simple chords and feel like a maestro, beaming on the wood bench.

In an attempt to summon fall, I started baking again, and was reminded of the happiness of warm cookies and the smell that fills the kitchen. I have not been sewing, but I have not been a failure. I sew as an outlet, I sew for the joy it brings. Not for the pressure of productivity that forces its way into career, housework and anywhere else it attempts to sneak in. No, I'll do this another day.

I'd only like to say a couple of things on this project. The first is that I'm proud of myself for it. The second is a word of advice: if you choose to make this top, read through all the instructions first and then simplify where they have over-complicated. Oh, and if you have a small chest, take at least 2 inches off the sides of the front panel.

That's all from me today. Remember to be kind to yourself, and allow yourself a break from the things you love when they aren't calling out to you. It doesn't mean you've lost it forever.


Pattern: M7962



Comments

Popular Posts