Outfit 31 | Sewing Project


I said it once and I'll say it again, sourcing fabrics from thrift stores is the most magical thing. Bed sheets make the softest pieces of clothing. It's the best bonus. The fabric I used for this project is a brushed cotton, and as a result this dress is pure comfy. This is the Marta pattern from schultz apparel in 'Option A', which I was lucky to pattern test (my second ever--yay!).  It features the cutest little poofy cloud sleeve I've ever sewn. I've never sewn (or seen) a short puff sleeve that doesn't start straight from the shoulder seem, which immediately caught my eye.  The silhouette is not too tight, but it has some well-placed seams throughout the bodice to give it some shape. I also always appreciate a button front. 

Overall process wise, sewing was straightforward and relied on the basics, and I avoided making any huge blunders along the way. In an effort to be more sustainable, despite not having a single matching pair of buttons, I resisted the urge to go out and buy more. I dove into my button-bag and organized them by size and color (for an anxious and slightly obsessive person like myself, this is fun), and then had some more fun laying them out on the dress. I like to think that the intentional mismatch created some charm.

This also happens to be shortest dress I have ever made, but not intentionally. As a short, perpetually over-heated person in sunny Florida, don't ask me why I continue to be drawn to long dresses, pants, jackets, and full sleeves. I really am my own worst & sweaty enemy. Combatting this requires finding patterns with unique details and less fabric, and this adorable dress is a step in the right direction for my summer wardrobe. 





Comments

  1. I love this dress! The subtle pattern is perfect for this style dress!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts