Outfit 026 | Sewing Project

Christmas is my favorite holiday, there's no doubt about it. The family togetherness, gift-giving, sparkly lights and chilly weather... It's just perfection. Another wonderful factor of Christmas coziness is the socially- acceptable refusal to change out of pajamas. I usually wear pj's the whole day through on Christmas-- but this year was a bit different. In an attempt to embrace change and turn it into something special, I decided to make something. And what says happy holidays more than green plaid and a great big ruffle?

This skirt is a dream. It has pockets (always +10 points) and it instantly made me feel more festive. It was also really straightforward to sew -- the most difficult step was the tedious task of gathering that massive ruffle (but so very worth it). This skirt is modified from M7591, and by modified I mean that I just didn't make the bodice of the dress. The way the pattern is designed made this adjustment a piece of cake! 

Another modification to this skirt is that it has a button closure instead of a zipper. This was not intentional, but rather the result of me thinking I had a zipper, digging through all of my half-unpacked boxes,  and realizing in defeat that I was sadly mistaken. Unfortunately (or fortunately if you consider necessity the mother of creativity) I came to this realization on December 23rd and really didn't want to go out into the world to shop for one. While frantically Googling "alternate skirt closures to zippers" -- I found this wonderful tutorial on how to sew a button closure. I actually really really like this closure method and can see a lot of ways that it could be superior to zippers (my known nemesis) -- I'm seeing a skirt with a side seam in my future...

So thank you, zipper shortage and frazzled memory, for forcing me to discover the beauty of a button closure.

P.S. I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday, safe and warm, and that this next year brings you some peace, contentment, and skirts with big pockets.









Comments

Popular Posts