Recently Read: Daisy Jones & The Six | Home Work


Well, it's time to admit that despite being in quarantine, I have slacked in my reading. I am steadily falling behind in my 2020 reading challenge and I am ever-the more determined to catch up. These are two books I finished before quarantine began... and I hope to be going over the next few reads at a quicker pace. I just keep thinking it would be a whole lot easier if I was curled up in a blanket next to a fire with a cup of tea (but I cant afford that AC bill). Oh well, that's what an imagination is for. But for now, here are my thoughts (as always no spoilers) on two recently read books.



Daisy Jones & The Six

An interview-style biography of a fictional rock band, Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid is one of my favorite books of the year. I loved the narrative style, which is so unique that on first glance one might imagine it feel disjointed, but Reid has managed to weave a seamless and emotionally human story in a distinctive way. The characters are real, flawed, and so well developed. Despite hearing the story in bits and pieces from various characters-- reading about each character from the others adds to the reader's perception and understanding. I would be amiss if we didn't talk about the music, Billy, and Daisy. Multiple times I found myself wishing I could buy Aurora, the Daisy Jones & The Six album. Daisy has a clear Stevie Nicks inspiration (which is not subtle or hidden, in fact, it is mentioned in the afterword) that is captivating --you just fall in love. Billy is the down-and-out, struggling character you want to root on. You want all of them to succeed. Taylor Jenkins Reid has managed to make me a fan of a band that only exists between the pages of this delightful book.

Home Work: A Memoir of My Hollywood Years

I love Julie Andrews. When I think of Julie Andrews, I think grace, sophistication, and light-heartedness. I had not read her previous memoir, but jumped in on this one as an audiobook upon its release (a book read to me by Andrews herself? Yes please). I learned so much more about Andrews and her life and career. A life of such fame is intriguing to me, because the largest impression I got of Andrews' life from this book is that despite the massive fame-- she lived the same basic structure and struggles that we all do. Dealing with the stresses of family, relationships, and the hard decisions we all have to make in our lives-- on top of becoming a well-loved household name. I especially appreciated the wonderfully introspective thoughts on the ups and downs of Hollywood and theater, the pressure to keep creating even after your latest work more-or-less failed. My only criticism is that the tone of the book is very impersonal, stories were sometimes told in such a matter-of-fact way that at points it felt like this could have been mistaken as a biography if not for the use of possessive pronouns (and Julie's magical voice reminding me, of course). Perhaps this is Andrews' way of keeping just a bit of privacy amid sharing so many intimate memories, which I cannot fault.



Comments

Popular Posts