Recently Read: How to be Parisian Wherever You Are | Girl, Stop Apologizing | Forest Bathing



Over the past month or so I've made it a goal to read more. I truly love reading, but for one reason or the other it got pushed to the back of the shelf (pun intended). However, I'm happy to report I've been so much better about daily reading --even if it is for 15 minutes and I fall asleep with a book in my hand. Keep reading for my thoughts on the nonfiction books I've read recently.

How to Be Parisian Wherever You Are

How to Be Parisian Wherever You Are: Love, Style, And Bad Habits written by Anne Berest, Audrey Diwan, Caroline de Maigret, and Sophie Mas is equally parts snarky and beautiful (which honestly, is a goal). A quick disclaimer about this book: it is definitely not for everyone and should not be taken seriously. It is chock full of dry, satirical humor and pretty photos. Every page is another example of prime self-deprecating humor, playing into the tropes and stereotypes with gusto; with such on-the-nose "advice" that it seems as if the entire book was written firmly with tongue-in-cheek.

These ladies are aware of your stereotypes, but they can write about them better. You never know what topic of the perfect Parisian life they will cover next, making this book a pleasure to read, with a surprise on every flip of the page.

Forest Bathing

Honestly, when I picked this book up from the library, I had no idea what to expect. My motivating factor for picking up  Forest Bathing: How Trees Can Help You Find Health and Happiness by Dr. Qing Li was how much I desperately miss forests. Don't get me wrong-- Florida sunshine and tropical plants are great, but nothing feels better to me than a stroll along a densely wooded path. In the end, I absolutely loved this book. The book is peppered with beautiful photographs; and contains studies, anecdotes and fun facts about the multitude of benefits trees have on our lives- or The Japanese Art and Science of Shinrin-Yoku. This book made me long for home, but at the same time inspired me to seek out some local gardens. 

If you have a love for trees, or science, or both-- I highly recommend this quick read!

Girl, Stop Apologizing 

I have very mixed feelings about Rachel Hollis' sequel to the New York Times Bestseller Girl, Wash Your Face. I will quickly preface that I have not read the original, and only it's follow up: Girl, Stop Apologizing, on the recommendation of my counselor.

I'll start with the good. I went the audiobook route (my first audiobook!) and man, was it motivational. Hollis knows how to hype. There are some really great methods and actionable advice to pursuing goals: the 10-10-1 method, picking 5 hours a week to dedicate to your goal, tackling 1 goal at a time, etc. The nuggets of wisdom and empowering moments are there if you can manage to separate them from her story and make it your own.

The biggest hurdle to me reading this book was the nearly constant humble-bragging. It was a back and forth of *here's some great advice --- monologue about my success*. I understand for some that can be very inspirational and aspirational, but to me it was distracting because of the frequency.  In addition to this, Hollis is not the most inclusive (until the very end, which seems like an afterthought) and sometimes downright contradictory in this regard: ie be thankful for your body no matter what, but respect yourself and don't be fat. These moments could be downright discouraging-- when it seems like the person giving you advice is talking down to you.

If there was one take-away that I am grateful to this book for, it was this: listen to yourself, trust yourself, and act. Don't wait for someone else's permission or approval when it comes to your goals.



Comments

Popular Posts