Photo Diary 005 | A Theme Park Holiday


Sometime last week, while mindlessly scrolling through Facebook- I stumbled across an article claiming that Florida had the worst Christmas spirit in the country. "Ha, no wonder", I scoffed with a sneer"it's too hot and muggy to truly feel like Christmas here". After embracing the Grinch mindset that had flowed into me through osmosis of the 100% humidity surrounding me- I had a change of heart. With two Florida Holiday Seasons under my belt, I vowed to single-handily restore the holly-jolly to this state if I had to.  My first step, remind myself of all of the wonderful things that make up a Theme Park Holiday.


Universal's Holiday Parade Featuring Macy's
The first time I watched this parade (last year), my expectations were admittedly low. But, as soon as the first balloon rounded the corner, I had to eat my words. This parade exudes all the feeling of waking up on Thanksgiving and kicking off the holiday season with the Macy's parade. It is cheery and simple, and a perfect way to get a quick Christmas fix.





Diagon Alley and Hogwarts at Universal
This is just a given. The Wizarding World already casts the perfect Christmasy spell by simply existing on page and screen. Wandering around Diagon Alley decked with holiday decor, a hot butterbeer in hand (so much better than the frozen/cold) and the snow-capped rooftops of Hogsmeade is peak Christmas. It's like living the adorable Christmas morning scene in The Sorcerer's Stone. Happy Christmas, Harry.




Festival of the Holidays at Epcot
Food is arguably the best part of the Holidays. Epcot's World Showcase has perfected the whole *walk around in a circle and stop every 50ft to buy snacks* thing. The Festival of the Holidays was a match made in heaven. The best part for me were the desserts: Sfej (beignets) in Morocco, and a green tea yule log in Japan. It was also really really quiet and relaxed- the perfect laid back holiday vibe + food.



Magic Kingdom Castle Lights
While I didn't manage to carve out the time to see them this year, the castle lights in Magic Kingdom are honestly extraordinary. The castle is pretty enough on a regular day- but cloak it in a layer of icicle lights and it becomes a Christmas beacon. Pair that view with the cozy feeling of decorated Main Street and I dare you to say you don't feel 30 degrees cooler (at least in your mind).



Disney's Hollywood Studios
Hollywood Studios is surprisingly my favorite theme park location for the Holidays. The tinsel and bright & light aesthetic of old Hollywood is like taking a bite of a perfect sugar cookie. Just the right amount of sweetness, sparkle, and cheek. Plus, they put a Santa hat on the lake dino every year...come on. There's honestly not too much to do at Hollywood Studios at the moment, so it's the perfect excuse to just take a moment and soak in the Christmas. (ps, there are occasional comedy performances on Sunset Boulevard, keep your eyes out).







There are, of course, many other ways to celebrate the season in Florida that don't involve theme parks- but as they are my life at the moment- it's how I've chosen to embrace the holidays. Plus, there's something about combining the energy of a theme park and all the people around with everything Christmas cheer.

Happy Holidays from Florida everyone! (Next stop: the PNW to go into shock & freeze in an Oregon Christmas- ah, home sweet home).

Comments

Popular Posts