Outfit 55 | Georgia's Dresses


My last two sewing projects have been by the same pattern-maker, who I stumbled upon thanks to reels. I knew all that doom-scrolling wasn't all bad. They are definitely similarities between them and what I've been drawn to sew lately. They are both made of organic cottons in my favorite solid colors because I'm still working toward my goal of creating easily-wearable wardrobe staples. The unrelenting heat, humidity, and burning sun of Florida may have also influenced my choices. 

The Kat Dress (the one in the pretty emerald green) has a silhouette I've wanted in my closet for a while with its high waistline and adjustable thin straps. I have visions of making another with tie straps in an oversized floral patterned fabric for a less-serious version. The versatility! The Mellow Dress (in the airy sky blue) was my first dress cut entirely on the bias, with self bias-tape. It's the quintessential basic sheath mini, and while celebrating the final hem stitch,  I remembered that I upgraded my machine so I should probably use it's features... and consequently added a cute decorative stitch around the neckline and hem. It took maybe ten minutes at the very end of construction, all the more reason to plan more projects that can incorporate them.

I've also made Terrence a button-up shirt in this time, and am honing my menswear sewing skills. I almost swapped the button placket and button sides, but really, who made that rule anyway? Actually I'm really into fashion history and meaning-making so I just did a quick search and here's an article by Smithsonian Magazine that gives some theories.

Patterns: Kat Dress (in green), Mellow Dress (in blue), both by Georgia's Portfolio.




Comments

Popular Posts