Outfit 47 | Dalmation



Happy Halloween! This dress counts as a festive installment to my sewing series because the Dalmatian fabric (it was written on the bolt!) is a throwback to one of the many incredible matching costumes my mom made my sister and I as children. While nothing will ever top our duo of skunks (complete with little striped & fluffy beanies), in the height of my Dalmatian obsession my mom made me the warmest, cutest costume, handmade with individually cut and placed spots. I will always be so appreciative to be part of such a creative family, and I will always be appreciative of the things I loved in my childhood. In honor of embracing that inner child, I made my Dalmatian dress.

Initially when looking for fabric for this slip dress, I knew I wanted a slinky fabric and was on a mission to find black. "It will be so wearable" I thought, "a staple piece in my closet". But then I saw the spots, and I was like Glen Close as Cruella when she descends into madness upon seeing puppies, except I love puppies and I'm not totally crazy. Back to the point, I fell in love with my Dalmatian fabric and all thoughts of safe-choices, versatility and foundational-wardrobe pieces left my mind.

This was the first time I've sewn and adjustable strap, and it was fun! Other than that foray into adjustability, the rest of this dress was an easy process, complete with double skirt slits. The result is a dress that is comfortable and confidence-boosting. I felt tall and powerful and creative in this dress...so maybe it's a staple after all.

Pattern: Saltwater Slip Dress by Friday Pattern Company





Comments

Popular Posts