Outfit 45 | Sewing Project | Morning Person

Once upon a time, I would wake up at 5am in the pitch black Oregon winter, scrape ice off my windshield, and drive to school for 6am choir practice. Now, it feels like a feat if I am out of bed before 8 o'clock. I'm not sure what happened to me, but I am determined to become a morning person again. The days where I am up early (usually due to an appointment or travel) I feel so peaceful. The time of morning where the sun isn't quite up yet but is just beginning, is so serenely quiet. Everything feels fluid, slow, relaxed, and I am able to take full breaths. I just need to remember this feeling when I'm all wrapped up in blankets and can't seem to peel myself out of bed.

It's not unsimilar to how I approach sewing. I just saw a great Reel (in a moment of doom-scrolling) with a message on avoiding saying "I should be making something" because then it feels like homework. The moment something feels like homework, I'm looking for external validation that I "passed" rather than the wonderful satisfaction of creating something, of doing something I love. It can be a lot more comfortable to sit on my phone, or sit in front of the tv, pining and dreaming that I was able to find the motivation to sew. I can find the motivation, I just need to remove the expectations of discomfort. No "but what if I can figure it out, and get frustrated", "what if I feel tired the whole day because I wake myself up before I am ready". Why give power over things that make me happy to the "what ifs"?

Regular reminders of things I love, things I enjoy, things that make me feel good. Black dresses with long flowy skirts, halterneck straps that make me realize I'm learning to love how my upper back looks. Accepting what I enjoy, like my penchant for neutral colors, without judgement. Sharing my joy, and not feeling bashful about it. Look at this dress I made! I love it! There is so much joy to be found!

Pattern: Ella Dress by Schultz Apparel (pattern test: option B)




Comments

Popular Posts