Outfit 44 | Sewing Project | I Hate Fake Nails


After a long few weeks, I have almost fully healed the cut on my finger that put a pause to all sewing, a pause to a whole lot of things. In a fit of celebratory spendiness (I've had a month of splurge that I'm not particularly proud of, as I thought I had grown out of my habit of buying my feelings away) I bought Hello Kitty press-on nails. They were so cute and so pretty and didn't chip or anything! I hated them. I felt separated from my world. So many of the things I enjoy: sewing, cooking, gardening, piano, all require connection. My fingertips creating and feeling and connecting. It was fun to try, but it is not who I am. 

I'm in a renaissance again, they seem to come in waves. I'm moving past the fear that surrounds these ideas of who I should be, or what I'm worried others will think of me. I'm being kind to and embracing younger versions of myself who felt shame for the things she liked, or was too afraid to try. I'm encouraging her to try them now, to be enthusiastic about the things I enjoy.  I keep on making clothing with loud poofy sleeves. I've made two separate pieces out of this red check fabric in a couple of months. So out of my usual, or what I thought was my usual.

Not everything I try will feel right. I thought I would be a fancy, nails-done kind of girl. It was fun to try, but it feels even better to discover how much I appreciate my naked nails, unaltered and me. It feels so right to experience to my world that I create all around me, whatever that looks like today.






Comments

Popular Posts