Outfit 40 | Sewing Project

Move over zippers, I have a new sewing nemesis: buttonholes. I realize that most modern sewing machines have an automatic setting for this, in fact both of my machines even came with the special feet. I also realize that despite this, somehow they always get messed up. I also still have trauma from the time I absolutely gashed a top with my seam ripper in the cursed button-process. And as if I needed any extra reasons to add grommets to a project -- my newfound aversion to sewing buttonholes called me to the tiny anvil. Necessity is the mother of creativity or something like that, right? 

This is the top of the Basque dress by Stitch Witch Patterns, with (as monologued above) a lace-up back instead of buttons. My fabric source for this project is a thrifted tablecloth, the slub yarn lending a really fun texture to the top, and the heft giving some much needed structure to this pseudo-corset. It is a great layering piece as pictured, giving some always welcomed drama to an otherwise sleepy outfit, but I think this would look great as a standalone top.

I'm planning on making another Maiden skirt (the one I fell in love with in my last project) with the remainder of this fabric. Both pieces will be great to mix and match, or wear as a set. I'm happy to report that I'm back in a sewing groove. I've really been enjoying sitting down at the machine with a good playlist and working through a project. Just please don't give me anything with buttons.

Pattern: The Basque Dress by Stitch Witch Patterns






Comments

Popular Posts