Outfit 38 | New Sewing Machine


January always seems to go by in a blur. Here we are, already at the end of this first month, and I'm scrambling to finish a project. I think this speedy month is due to my never-ending desire to draw the holidays out as long as possible, paired with Terrence's birthday at the end of the month. I exasperated it all this year by deciding to get back into cross-stitch (for a birthday present). I had definitely forgotten how time-consuming all of those x's are. But there was no way I could let my new fancy sewing machine sit idle, so I managed to kick off the year with a complete blouse.

In an effort to increase the sustainability of my sewing, I want to be better at using scrap fabric. For this project, I searched the scrap pile and found the perfect piece: leftovers from the shirt I made Terrence last year. I didn't have quite enough, so this turned into a two-tone with a black back. The herringbone of the shirting fabric matches the formality of the adorable sewn-in neck tie, and I fell in love with this shirt the moment it was done. I also completely fell in love with my new machine, which has all kinds of fancy things like automatic needle lowering/raising. Seriously, big upgrade.

This was a quick and easy project (am I mastering basics?) but the one thing I found odd is that the pattern omitted some steps, or I guess just assumed that anyone making this would just know the ins-and-outs of garment-construction? I love directions, and the clearer the better, but I am proud that after some initial  pause (and light-judging of the lack of care from mass-market pattern-makers), I figured it out all on my own. A good omen for a year of sewing, I hope.


Pattern: R11222 (in regards to my note above, this is a reproduction of a 1960s Vintage Pattern. While I could forgive more simplistic instructions in a true vintage pattern-- the directions in the reproduction had obviously been re-written-- and therefore there was definitely an opportunity to clarify. Okay, stepping off of my soapbox now.)




Comments

Popular Posts