Outfit 25 | Sewing Project


Happy Halloween! It's belated, I know. It's so belated that there are some who have already had Christmas decorations up for a good week, but I'm going to bring back the spirit of Halloween just for a quick haunt to talk about my costume this year! We are all well aware that holidays are a little different this year, but the party doesn't stop just because you can't have a party-party. All of this to say, I was determined to create a costume I'd be proud of -- and that costume was an Oogie Boogie dress. The idea of an Oogie dress was totally inspired by Rachel Maksy's -- be sure to go appreciate her beautiful glow-in-the-dark creation. 

As soon as I watched her video I knew, in my heart, that this was what I would make this year. So I ordered many, many yards of burlap and got to work. And boy, was it work. I have absolutely zero desire to ever make a garment out of burlap again. It's thick and itchy (which means every piece needed to be lined, and this baby had some big skirt panels). The vintage Vogue pattern I chose was actually a pretty simple one, and if not for my choice of material, I think it would actually be a quick project. I just giggle to myself every time I think about combining Oogie Boogie and Vogue -- the most diametrically opposed figures, apart from the fact that Oogie is a total diva.

I was initially going to finish the bottom hem with black ribbon -- but I ran out, couldn't be bothered, and then ultimately decided that the frayed edge lent itself to the character anyhow. I attempted to scuff up parts of the burlap with my seam-ripper (with moderate success) and sewed on some spiders (who scared me multiple times as I kept forgetting about them). But my absolute favorite part of this project was sewing in the "stitches" along the seams. Firstly, it was fun to sew through the burlap with a big darning needle and yarn. Secondly, this step seriously transformed the dress - and it was so fun to see the change. 

One of my favorite things each year is getting dressed up for holidays and this year was no different, even with getting all dressed up with no-where to go -- which honestly is totally an Oogie Boogie move.

Pattern V1696









Comments

Popular Posts