Outfit 018 | Sewing Project



It's really hard to believe, I know, but I am already writing about another sewing project. This impressive speed is not something to get used to however, as I get back to work, but I am really going to try to keep some project progressing in the background at all times, that I can work on whenever I feel so inspired. I've been doing a lot of work lately in understanding that something you enjoy is only truly fun if you don't force yourself to do it (shocking again, I know). All that being said - I made a skirt! I originally pictured myself traveling the world with this skirt packed in my suitcase (I was inspired by the adorable jet-setting print) -- but for now-- a short walk along the lake will need to suffice.

I like to believe that I am learning and improving, as most of this project was smooth sailing. The biggest challenge was sewing the yoke lining -- just because it was something I had never done before. After my tried-and-true process of the back-and-forth stare between pattern and fabric, I eventually figured it out. Now I want to add linings to everything I make. Except not really, because it was extra work but boy does it make something feel fancier.

There was another familiar foe that I wasn't able to evade: the invisible zipper. Somehow this one is worse than my last, with some weird gapping happening between the top of the zipper and the hook-and-eye. I take some solace knowing that I could easily remove and re-sew this for a cleaner finish, but honestly I really don't care that much. I will happily wear my imperfect creation. So that's it, that's the skirt. I think next up will be a top...wish me luck!

Also, I would be amiss if I did not mention that the world still needs our voices to make necessary, crucial change. Please continue to be vocal, do the work, and fight racial inequality. 

P.S. Don't forget to wear your mask.








Comments

Popular Posts