You don't have to be an artist | tips for creativity


In my never-ending effort to find new creative outlets for anxiety and stress- I invested in a drawing tablet. I am by no means a talented artist (that goes to my sister)- but that doesn't mean I'm not artistic. There is always some idea or image floating around in my imagination- and for the longest time the frustration & fear of failure has stopped me from getting them out.

But when I am being creative: playing music, drawing, crocheting; I feel the best. That's why it is so important that we abolish the idea that in order to be creative it is required of you to devote your life to art. Artists are that: those who completely commit their time to art (and work hard). The rest of us can happily just have a portion of artistic life- but please do not neglect that portion.

Will my work ever be appreciated by anyone else, likely not. But that isn't the important part. What's important is that I enjoy the process. Following are a few tips that I have found are helping me hone the creativity in my life. 

  1. Find an outlet: it doesn't have to be traditional, but it certainly can be. It could be fashion, interior decorating, oil-painting, gardening, photography, etc. Whatever you find that provides the creativity that makes you happy- that's your thing. Own it.
  2. Write: not mandating that everyone write a sonnet or short story. Write out ideas- you'd be surprised what comes from them (sometimes when revisited a little later).
  3. Doodle: and try not to judge. Sketch some things you enjoy (cute, silly, just a bunch of squiggly lines) & let your mind wander. Sketching relaxes & allows the brain to be free to think beyond the normal stresses of life.
  4. Experiment: Try something new. Fail at it, but have fun. Or maybe don't have any fun, cross it off your list & avoid it for all eternity.
  5. Scroll: find inspiration. Google, search a relevant hashtag, and observe what others have created. Take to Pinterest or make a mood board (they're fun and even the digital update is reminiscent of the ones we made from magazines & poster board).
  6. Appreciate: what others make and what you make (even if it's not up to your expectations). The world needs to foster more creativity. Without creators we would have nothing. No art, music, social media, blogs, progress.  Take time to acknowledge all of the beautiful and strange things we create.

Comments

Popular Posts