Outfit 66 | Gingham & Ruffles



These are the Lane Pants. The most straight-forward, comfortable, summery and cute pants I've made. The cuteness is almost entirely due to the hem modification to add the ruffle, it can't get cuter. Because of how much I love these pants, I've decided I need to make more pants. Unfortunately, there is an immediate intimidation-factor in making pants that I always realize is overstated as soon as I start sewing. I'm currently getting over my hem-aversion and shortening a lot of pants I buy, so we are getting somewhere.

I'm really happy with how my Lane Pants turned out, but I do need to get more familiar with pattern-fit modifications; the little alterations that can be made to a pattern to fit the way my body happens to be, which is not magically the same as every base pattern (lame). This is another element that seems very scary to me. Based on my quick search where I typed in "pattern fit modifications", saw a bunch of very helpful looking articles and videos, and then quickly closed that tab because I got overwhelmed, it looks like it's going to be learn by trial. 

My first step is going to be to go in with a critical eye and look at the fit of clothes I already have (both made by me, and otherwise purchased). In identifying the mis-fits of existing clothes, I hope to find the areas where I need to learn to modify. Maybe there will be consistency, fingers crossed, or maybe not. Then it is to the internet and all those kind, helpful people I've mentioned above. One area at a time, I will learn the little tricks & tucks to make things fit better. This isn't the glamorous side of sewing, but it will make all the difference in how often I reach for something I made to wear.

Each time I sew I'm learning. Each time I try something new I'm learning. It doesn't have to be perfect immediately, or in a year, or maybe even ever. I'm learning.

 Pattern: Lane Pants (Ruffle Variation) by SydGraham Patterns


Comments

Popular Posts