Outfit 022 | Sewing Project

 

I did it y'all. I made a pair of pants. During the last big pattern sale I stumbled across- I was scrolling along when all of the sudden- this pattern spoke to me. It said: "you may still be a complete novice but here is an unrealistic daydream of how fantastic it would be to have these pants in a mustardy-yellow linen". Talking pattern aside, I really did immediately envision a final product when I saw this pattern, and that was enough to push me past the fear of pants and the voices in my head that had switched to: "oh GOD, an inseam? rise? LEGS?!". The end result is a pair of wide-legged, cullote-style pants that make me feel fancy in a time when I usually feel the opposite. It's really amazing what a good pair of pants can do.

Like all of my projects-- I hit a couple stumbling points while making these, but I'm proud to say there weren't as many as I imagined! My biggest struggle (get this) was my reliable nemesis: the zipper. I always approach putting in a zipper with such confidence, and each time I somehow manage to mess a different thing up. It's okay, I'm just working on becoming best friends with my seam ripper.

I'm learning new things with every project about fit and how important it is to not blindly trust a pattern. In a mid-progress fit check (after the back yoke was already attached to both the legs and waistband --oops), I turned to the side and saw an annoying little pool of fabric at the center base of the yoke. I have since learned that I should have done a swayback modification to the pattern-- but that ship had sailed. So, I turned to my trusty alteration: the dart. This, of course, resulted in a tiny vertical seam in the yoke-- but it doesn't bother me too much-- and it's much, much better than that evil pooch of fabric that was there before it.

Only a couple additional modifications were made to this pattern -- I didn't include the interfacing in the waistband because my fabric felt sturdy enough without, and of course I used the shorter length leg piece in order to make an ankle-length version. Short people know what I'm talking about.

Pattern: M7475











Comments

Popular Posts