Outfit 65 | Denim & Topstitching

I write this entry accompanied by a coffee shop jazz playlist on Spotify, a sniffling nose, and a bug bite that has made my knee swell to a concerning size. Trés chic, I know. So please, let's direct our attention to a few days ago when I was the antithesis of my current self, wearing my newly completed Cookies & Cream dress.

I saw one too many denim dresses on social media, so I had to have one. Am I too easily influenced? No, no, I'm just using the algorithm to my advantage to gather inspiration. In another instance of ideas happily falling into place, I'd had this pattern in my "to-sew" list, and the topstitching designed into the pattern called out for an homage to classic jean topstitching. I didn't have quite the right marigold yellow but I'm okay being a little more subtle. I love the seaming on this dress, I'm such a sucker for a princess seam, and I'm really happy with the way the topstitching makes them a feature. 

While wearing this dress out, it was complimented in an ice cream shop and I proudly (shyly, I'm working on it) got to say "thanks I made it". Sewing is a personally satisfying form of creativity for me and while I don't do it for outside approval or recognition, a compliment really is the icing on the cake. 

Back to hibernation & healing I go. Maybe I'll find inspiration for my next project as I inevitably fall into a doom-scroll session.


Pattern: Cookies & Cream Dress by On The Cutting Mat Studio



Comments

Popular Posts