Outfit 58 | Roses & Irises

It's finally starting to feel chilly, but some of the flowers are still blooming. In love with the twist-neckline of this top, bolstered by projects I've been able to complete in a couple days.

I've held onto this fabric for a while now. Purchased with a gift card that was given to me as a gift, it held more weight to pick the right project to warrant its use. I only had a yard and a half, so I was limited in choices. Every pattern I found was either too complex that it would compete with the print for attention, or too simple to match my cloying expectation of meaning. This twist neck top has just the right balance of elegance, and the exposed shoulder makes it so the all-over print doesn't overwhelm my frame. My sentimental heart is happy.

When I re-started sewing as a hobby four years ago I was very focused on dressmaking, but in my mission of wearability the majority of my projects this year have unintentionally been tops. I'm going back to my roots to round out the year, with a goal of getting two dresses done before the new year: one as a gift for my mom, and the other my yearly tradition of a handmade Christmas dress. I have my eye on a bow-adorned piece by Roberts Wood Patterns, who makes works of true wearable art. 

In forward future thinking, I'm considering goals for the upcoming year. Outside of sewing, I'd like to do more language study of Dutch and Spanish, and I'd like to continue learning more about the care of my roses and irises planted this year. I want to nurture growth both in my environment and within myself. In the realm of sewing, I'm really interested in learning more about pattern-making. There is so much of it that still seems like overwhelming magic to me, and I want to be magical.


Pattern: Aalto Dress / Top by Papercut Patterns 





Comments

Popular Posts